Monday, February 16, 2009

initial eval

So, here I am -- Monday at 10:55 am. No school today, thank you dead presidents.

I'm on the brink of finishing my first initial evaluation report of my career, (which is just part of the job -- but it's a HUGE part....), and realizing I am one of the worst kind of perfectionists ever.

I'm the procrastinator-perfectionist. absolute worst kind......

I want the work I do to be perfect. I'm actually quite fearful every time I have a bit of work to do, because I know it will not be perfect, (how could anything be perfect?). So -- for me -- it's easier to not start something, than to start it and have it not be perfect right from the get-go. It's just downhill as far as output, expectations, and motivation once you start and know it will never be perfect.

See what I mean? The worst kind....

Today I need to finish writing this initial evaluation on a student I spent hours upon hours testing. I have all the data. I have all the tests. I've started the eval. Now, all I need to do is finish it -- but I've saved the toughest parts for last, of course. And I find myself at this most familiar juncture: do I start early, (like now-ish) and get it done with, or do I agonize over it and put it off till after dinner tonight, and then have to stay up waaay to late finishing.

It seems obvious, doesn't it?

I wish the perfectionist-procrastinator in me would see the obvious answer as well.


slay the beast....

start now....

2 comments:

ajs {of MN} said...

I am mad that my PERFECT comment from before didn't show. Anyway, I know exactly what it is that you are dealing with. LUCK!

MarenE said...

Thank you, dearie! I did end up finishing it yesterday -- held the hour and a half meeting today, and ROCKED IT!!!

:)

Life isn't about the breaths we take, it's about the moments that take our breath away. ~Heidi Wills